I undertake consulting, program development, workshop facilitation, executive education, public speaking and research. My work integrates three areas: leadership development, innovation, and change management. I collaborate with organizations to engage the collective intelligence, creativity and experience of their people in order to foster innovation and facilitate change. This way, we address key challenges, drive results and develop people - simultaneously. The issues I address include:
• Developing innovative products, services and solutions
• Building a culture of innovation, entrepreneurship, continuous learning and agility
• Engaging people in organizational change processes
• Creating high-commitment and high-performance teams and organizations
• Developing collective leadership
• Developing emotional intelligence
• Fostering collaboration across areas
• Sharing best practices and facilitating learning from experience
I earned a B.A. in Economics and Ph.D. in Psychology, both from Yale University. Currently, I teach in Executive Education, MBA and Executive Masters programs at the Católica-Lisbon School of Business and Economics. I have given keynote speeches and invited talks in English, Spanish, French and Portuguese. Formerly, I was a Senior Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Surrey, worked in business and journalism, and co-directed an award-winning documentary film.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Interpersonal Processes
- Organizational Behavior
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Côté, S., Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., & Miners, C. T. H. (2010). Emotional intelligence and leadership emergence in small groups. The Leadership Quarterly, 21 (3), 496-508.
- Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., Côté, S., & Beers, M. (2005). Emotion regulation abilities and the quality of social interaction. Emotion, 5, 113-118.
- Nizielski, S., Hallum, S., Schütz, A, & Lopes, P. N. (2013). A note on emotion appraisal and burnout: The mediating role of antecedent-focused coping strategies. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 18 (3), 363-369.
- Nizielski, S., Hallum, S., Lopes, P. N., & Schütz, A. (2012). Attention to student needs mediates the relationship between teacher emotional intelligence and student misconduct in the classroom. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 30 (4), 320-329.
- Murtagh, N. M., Lopes, P. N., & Lyons, E. (2011). Decision making in voluntary career change: An other-than-rational perspective. Career Development Quarterly, 59, 249-263.
- Mestre, J. M., Guil, R., Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., & Gil-Olarte, P. (2006). Emotional intelligence and social and academic adaptation to school. Psicothema, 18, 112-117.
- Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., & Straus, R. (2003). Emotional intelligence, personality, and the perceived quality of social relationships. Personality and Individual Differences, 35, 641-658.
- Peralta, C. F., Lopes, P. N., Gilson, L., Lourenço, P. R., & Pais, L. (2015). Innovation processes and team effectiveness: The role of goal clarity and commitment, and team affective tone. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 88 (1), 80-107. doi:10.1111/joop.12079
- Lopes, P. N., Nezlek, J. B., Extremera, N., Hertel, J., Fernández-Berrocal, P., Schütz, A., & Salovey, P. (2011). Emotion regulation and the quality of social interaction: Does the ability to evaluate emotional situations and identify effective responses matter? Journal of Personality, 79, 429-467.
- Lopes, P. N., Grewal, D., Kadis, J., Gall, M., & Salovey, P. (2006). Evidence that emotional intelligence is related to job performance and affect and attitudes at work. Psicothema, 18, 132-138.
- Lopes, P. N., Brackett, M. A., Nezlek, J. B., Schütz, A., Sellin, I., & Salovey, P. (2004). Emotional intelligence and social interaction. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 30, 1018-1034.
- Lopes, P. N. (in press). Emotional intelligence in organizations: Bridging research and practice. Emotion Review.
- Fernández-Berrocal, P., Extremera, N., Lopes, P. N., & Ruiz-Aranda, D. (2014). When to cooperate and when to compete: Emotional intelligence in interpersonal decision making. Journal of Research in Personality, 49, 21-24.
- Lopes, P. N., Mestre, J. M., Guil, R., Kremenitzer, J. P., & Salovey, P. (2012). The role of knowledge and skills for managing emotions in adaptation to school: Social behavior and misconduct in the classroom. American Educational Research Journal, 49 (4), 710-742. DOI 10.3102/0002831212443077
- Strack, J., Lopes, P. N., & Esteves, F. (2014). Will you thrive under pressure or burn out? Linking anxiety motivation and emotional exhaustion. Cognition and Emotion. DOI:10.1080/02699931.2014.922934
- Salovey, P., Kokkonen, M., Lopes, P. N., & Mayer, J. D. (2004). Emotional intelligence: What do we know? In A. S. R. Manstead, N. H. Frijda, & A. H. Fischer (Eds.), Feelings and emotions: The Amsterdam symposium (pp. 319-338). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Nezlek, J. B., Schütz, A., Lopes, P. N., & Smith, C. V. (2007). Naturally occurring variability in state empathy. In T. F. D. Farrow & P. W. R. Woodruff (Eds.), Empathy in mental illness and health (pp. 187-200). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Lopes, P. N., & Salovey, P. (2004). Toward a broader education: Social, emotional, and practical skills. In J. E. Zins, R. P. Weissberg, M. C. Wang, & H. J. Walberg (Eds.), Building academic success on social and emotional learning (pp. 76-93). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Lopes, P. N., & Salovey, P. (2008). Emotional intelligence and leadership: Implications for leader development. In C. L. Hoyt, G. R. Goethals, & D. R. Forsyth (Eds.), Leadership at the crossroads (Vol. 1): Psychology and leadership. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Lopes, P. N., Côté, S., & Salovey, P. (2006). An ability model of emotional intelligence: Implications for assessment and training. In V. U. Druskat, F. Sala, & G. Mount (Eds.), Linking emotional intelligence and performance at work: Current research evidence with individuals and groups (pp. 53-80). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Emotional Intelligence and Management
- Emotions and Conflict in Organizations
- Fostering Creativity and Innovation at Work
- Managing People and Emotions in Organizational Change
Paulo N. Lopes
Católica-Lisbon School of Business and Economics
Catholic University of Portugal
Palma de Cima
- Phone: +351 217 214 278
- Fax: +351 217 270 252