I am interested in the development of interpersonal and emotional competencies in adulthood, contributing to the capacity to interact effectively with others and manage or lead people at work. My initial research examined the link between emotional intelligence, measured using an ability test, and the quality of social interaction. Now I am focusing further on the ability to manage challenging interpersonal situations at work, encompassing emotion regulation, the appraisal of ambiguous social situations, perspective taking and conflict management. In a related line of research, I look at interpersonal adaptability and learning from experience. This research informs the design of training programmes that I am now developing, aimed at enhancing emotional and interpersonal competencies in educational and organizational settings.
At the Faculty of Economics and Management of the Catholic University of Portugal, I teach courses on Organizational Behavior in Executive Education, MBA and MSc programs. I also teach workshops on creativity. In my earlier career, I worked in business and journalism and co-directed an award-winning documentary film.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Interpersonal Processes
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Organizational Behavior
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Nizielski, S., Hallum, S., Schütz, A, & Lopes, P. N. (in press). A note on emotion appraisal and burnout: The mediating role of antecedent-focused coping strategies. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology.
- Lopes, P. N., Mestre, J. M., Guil, R., Kremenitzer, J. P., & Salovey, P. (2012). The role of knowledge and skills for managing emotions in adaptation to school: Social behavior and misconduct in the classroom. American Educational Research Journal, 49 (4), 710-742. DOI 10.3102/0002831212443077
- Nizielski, S., Hallum, S., Lopes, P. N., & Schütz, A. (2012). Attention to student needs mediates the relationship between teacher emotional intelligence and student misconduct in the classroom. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 30 (4), 320-329.
- Côté, S., Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., & Miners, C. T. H. (2010). Emotional intelligence and leadership emergence in small groups. The Leadership Quarterly, 21 (3), 496-508.
- Murtagh, N. M., Lopes, P. N., & Lyons, E. (2011). Decision making in voluntary career change: An other-than-rational perspective. Career Development Quarterly, 59(3), 249-263.
- Lopes, P. N., Grewal, D., Kadis, J., Gall, M., & Salovey, P. (2006). Evidence that emotional intelligence is related to job performance and affect and attitudes at work. Psicothema, 18, 132-138.
- Mestre, J. M., Guil, R., Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., & Gil-Olarte, P. (2006). Emotional intelligence and social and academic adaptation to school. Psicothema, 18, 112-117.
- Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., Côté, S., & Beers, M. (2005). Emotion regulation abilities and the quality of social interaction. Emotion, 5, 113-118.
- Lopes, P. N., Brackett, M. A., Nezlek, J. B., Schütz, A., Sellin, I., & Salovey, P. (2004). Emotional intelligence and social interaction. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 30, 1018-1034.
- Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., & Straus, R. (2003). Emotional intelligence, personality, and the perceived quality of social relationships. Personality and Individual Differences, 35, 641-658.
- Lopes, P. N., Nezlek, J. B., Extremera, N., Hertel, J., Fernández-Berrocal, P., Schütz, A., & Salovey, P. (2011). Emotion regulation and the quality of social interaction: Does the ability to evaluate emotional situations and identify effective responses matter? Journal of Personality, 79 (2), 429-467.
- Lopes, P. N., & Salovey, P. (2008). Emotional intelligence and leadership: Implications for leader development. In C. L. Hoyt, G. R. Goethals, & D. R. Forsyth (Eds.), Leadership at the crossroads (Vol. 1): Psychology and leadership. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Lopes, P. N., & Salovey, P. (2004). Toward a broader education: Social, emotional, and practical skills. In J. E. Zins, R. P. Weissberg, M. C. Wang, & H. J. Walberg (Eds.), Building academic success on social and emotional learning (pp. 76-93). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Lopes, P. N., Côté, S., & Salovey, P. (2006). An ability model of emotional intelligence: Implications for assessment and training. In V. U. Druskat, F. Sala, & G. Mount (Eds.), Linking emotional intelligence and performance at work: Current research evidence with individuals and groups (pp. 53-80). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Salovey, P., Kokkonen, M., Lopes, P. N., & Mayer, J. D. (2004). Emotional intelligence: What do we know? In A. S. R. Manstead, N. H. Frijda, & A. H. Fischer (Eds.), Feelings and emotions: The Amsterdam symposium (pp. 319-338). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Salovey, P. N., Mayer, J. D., Caruso, D., & Lopes, P. N. (2003). Measuring emotional intelligence as a set of abilities with the Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test. In S. J. Lopez & C. R. Snyder (Eds.), Handbook of positive psychology assessment: A handbook of models and measures (pp. 251-265). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Nezlek, J. B., Schütz, A., Lopes, P. N., & Smith, C. V. (2007). Naturally occurring variability in state empathy. In T. F. D. Farrow & P. W. R. Woodruff (Eds.), Empathy in mental illness and health (pp. 187-200). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Brackett, M., Lopes, P. N., Ivcevic, Z., Mayer, J. D., & Salovey, P. (2004). Integrating emotion and cognition: The role of emotional intelligence. In D. Dai & R. J. Sternberg (Eds.), Motivation, emotion, and cognition: Integrating perspectives on intellectual functioning (pp. 175-194). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Emotional Intelligence and Management
- Emotions and Conflict in Organizations
- Fostering Creativity and Innovation at Work
- Managing People and Emotions in Organizational Change
Paulo N. Lopes
Católica-Lisbon School of Business and Economics
Catholic University of Portugal
Palma de Cima
- Phone: +351 217 214 278
- Fax: +351 217 270 252