With regard to research, I am mostly interested in the development of emotional and interpersonal competencies, contributing to the capacity to interact effectively with others and to lead and manage people at work. My earlier research examined the link between emotional intelligence and the quality of social interaction. Now I am focusing on emotional expression and emotion regulation, encompassing the capacity to instil positive spirits and energy in others, and to manage challenging interpersonal situations at work.
I am also involved in consulting, public speaking, executive education and research focused on helping organizations to achieve the following goals:
• Managing people in change processes so as to drive results and generate engagement, empowerment and positive energy
• Developing leaders and creating a work environment and organizational culture conducive to innovation, rapid learning, adaptability, and an entrepreneurial mindset
• Increasing the impact of management training, executive education and leader development programs by involving participants in addressing organizational challenges, sharing best practices, and learning from experience
• Fostering collaboration across areas and overcoming organizational silos
• Energizing teams for performance
• Developing positive leadership and emotional intelligence at all levels
I earned a B.A. in Economics and Ph.D. in Psychology from Yale University. Currently, I teach in Executive Education, MBA and MSc programs at the Católica-Lisbon School of Business and Economics. I have been strongly involved in the design, coordination and teaching of custom and open-enrollment executive education programs, with excellent teaching evaluations. An innovative approach to executive education and management training that I have developed and used in numerous programs integrates teaching, consulting, and group facilitation to help teams and organizations to address the challenges they face using the collective intelligence and creativity of the group. Being fluent in English, Spanish, French and Portuguese, I have given keynote speeches at conferences in several countries. My research, encompassing emotional intelligence, leadership, education, change, innovation, and interpersonal interaction, has been published in top journals. Formerly, I was a Senior Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Surrey and a Fulbright fellow, worked in business and journalism, and co-directed an award-winning documentary film.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Interpersonal Processes
- Organizational Behavior
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Côté, S., Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., & Miners, C. T. H. (2010). Emotional intelligence and leadership emergence in small groups. The Leadership Quarterly, 21 (3), 496-508.
- Lopes, P. N., Grewal, D., Kadis, J., Gall, M., & Salovey, P. (2006). Evidence that emotional intelligence is related to job performance and affect and attitudes at work. Psicothema, 18, 132-138.
- Lopes, P. N., Nezlek, J. B., Extremera, N., Hertel, J., Fernández-Berrocal, P., Schütz, A., & Salovey, P. (2011). Emotion regulation and the quality of social interaction: Does the ability to evaluate emotional situations and identify effective responses matter? Journal of Personality, 79, 429-467.
- Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., Côté, S., & Beers, M. (2005). Emotion regulation abilities and the quality of social interaction. Emotion, 5, 113-118.
- Murtagh, N. M., Lopes, P. N., & Lyons, E. (2011). Decision making in voluntary career change: An other-than-rational perspective. Career Development Quarterly, 59, 249-263.
- Mestre, J. M., Guil, R., Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., & Gil-Olarte, P. (2006). Emotional intelligence and social and academic adaptation to school. Psicothema, 18, 112-117.
- Lopes, P. N., Salovey, P., & Straus, R. (2003). Emotional intelligence, personality, and the perceived quality of social relationships. Personality and Individual Differences, 35, 641-658.
- Peralta, C. F., Lopes, P. N., Gilson, L., Lourenço, P. R., & Pais, L. (in press). Innovation processes and team effectiveness: The role of goal clarity and commitment, and team affective tone. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology.
- Lopes, P. N., Brackett, M. A., Nezlek, J. B., Schütz, A., Sellin, I., & Salovey, P. (2004). Emotional intelligence and social interaction. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 30, 1018-1034.
- Fernández-Berrocal, P., Extremera, N., Lopes, P. N., & Ruiz-Aranda, D. (2014). When to cooperate and when to compete: Emotional intelligence in interpersonal decision making. Journal of Research in Personality, 49, 21-24.
- Lopes, P. N., Mestre, J. M., Guil, R., Kremenitzer, J. P., & Salovey, P. (2012). The role of knowledge and skills for managing emotions in adaptation to school: Social behavior and misconduct in the classroom. American Educational Research Journal, 49 (4), 710-742. DOI 10.3102/0002831212443077
- Nizielski, S., Hallum, S., Lopes, P. N., & Schütz, A. (2012). Attention to student needs mediates the relationship between teacher emotional intelligence and student misconduct in the classroom. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 30 (4), 320-329.
- Nizielski, S., Hallum, S., Schütz, A, & Lopes, P. N. (2013). A note on emotion appraisal and burnout: The mediating role of antecedent-focused coping strategies. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 18 (3), 363-369.
- Strack, J., Lopes, P. N., & Esteves, F. (2014). Will you thrive under pressure or burn out? Linking anxiety motivation and emotional exhaustion. Cognition and Emotion. DOI:10.1080/02699931.2014.922934
- Salovey, P. N., Mayer, J. D., Caruso, D., & Lopes, P. N. (2003). Measuring emotional intelligence as a set of abilities with the Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test. In S. J. Lopez & C. R. Snyder (Eds.), Handbook of positive psychology assessment: A handbook of models and measures (pp. 251-265). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Salovey, P., Kokkonen, M., Lopes, P. N., & Mayer, J. D. (2004). Emotional intelligence: What do we know? In A. S. R. Manstead, N. H. Frijda, & A. H. Fischer (Eds.), Feelings and emotions: The Amsterdam symposium (pp. 319-338). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Nezlek, J. B., Schütz, A., Lopes, P. N., & Smith, C. V. (2007). Naturally occurring variability in state empathy. In T. F. D. Farrow & P. W. R. Woodruff (Eds.), Empathy in mental illness and health (pp. 187-200). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Lopes, P. N., & Salovey, P. (2004). Toward a broader education: Social, emotional, and practical skills. In J. E. Zins, R. P. Weissberg, M. C. Wang, & H. J. Walberg (Eds.), Building academic success on social and emotional learning (pp. 76-93). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Lopes, P. N., & Salovey, P. (2008). Emotional intelligence and leadership: Implications for leader development. In C. L. Hoyt, G. R. Goethals, & D. R. Forsyth (Eds.), Leadership at the crossroads (Vol. 1): Psychology and leadership. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Lopes, P. N., Côté, S., & Salovey, P. (2006). An ability model of emotional intelligence: Implications for assessment and training. In V. U. Druskat, F. Sala, & G. Mount (Eds.), Linking emotional intelligence and performance at work: Current research evidence with individuals and groups (pp. 53-80). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Emotional Intelligence and Management
- Emotions and Conflict in Organizations
- Fostering Creativity and Innovation at Work
- Managing People and Emotions in Organizational Change
Paulo N. Lopes
Católica-Lisbon School of Business and Economics
Catholic University of Portugal
Palma de Cima
- Phone: +351 217 214 278
- Fax: +351 217 270 252